Re: Common kernel-image source package

On Tue, 10 May 2005, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

Hi,

       Does this mean that the common kernel source package would no
longer use make-kpkg to build the image? If not, why not co-ordinate
with kernel-package to get a common mechanism of creating control and
config files? kerel-package already has mechanisms for creating the
rules file, config ile, and control files, and in etch would even be
modular. Why reinvent the wheel?

	manoj

Hi Manoj,

There are no plans to drop kernel-package. The goal as I see it is to add functionality for handling multiple arch/subarch configs and control files in the build system, not rewrite it from scratch. And definitely, if kernel-package's functionality is going to be extended, we will want to take advantage of that.

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org