Re: m68k 2.6 kernels and the debian-kernel subversion repo ...

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 05:24:46PM +0200, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 01:37:19PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> It has recently been brought to our attention that you are offering software
> for download... is this the RIAA talking to me?

Sorry, a wee bit formal maybe. Maybe it should have been a :

  "hey, why are your package not in svn like the rest of them ?"

Please don't take it badly, it was not meant so.

> > It has recently been brought to our attention that you have 2.6 kernels
> > available at :
> >
> >   http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/kernel-image/
>
> Is this a crime? Abuse of debian resources?

No, sure not.

> > But not yet in the official archives, nor do you seem to be part of the
> > debian-kernel team, nor are you using the kernel subversion repo on alioth to
> > hold your m68k kernels.
> >
> > This mail is thus an invitation to you to join the debian-kernel team, and to
> > add your 2.6 m68k kernels to the alioth subversion repo, if you would like
> > that.
>
> Oh, I thought I was, at least I added myself to the wiki page some time ago.
> Now I have to sign up on another page? Do you need my bankaccount, PIN and
> TAN for that?

No, just your approval. And get your feeling about it.

> Sorry, I am not an svn user, I am not sure if I could make use of that. But
> if you officially want to ad me to the kernel team, go ahead, you are the
> project manager.

Ok. Well, svn is dead easy, especially if you know CVS, and there is even a
smallish instruction at the toplevel of the archive.

> The 2.6.x images for m68k are going through heavy testing currently. That I
> have a bunch of images there does not mean they are working or even have
> been tested on all 10 (or is it 12 already?) subarches. This weekend I hope

Well, that a package is in the subversion repo doesn'y mean that it is working
or even uploaded also.

> to be able to assemble my Atari so I can, in theory, do tests on the three
> major subarches myself. As soon as I am convinced that 2.6 images are
> useable on at least one subarch, I will upload patch and image packages to
> the archive. Right now there is still too much change going on, too little
> working.

Ok, just wanted to invite you to put your stuff in the svn.

> Now if you can convince me to use svn for creating my kernel patches. What
> benefit do I have over syncing with linux-m68k CVS?

Visibility from the other debian-kernel guys maybe ? Also the svn repo is only
for patches and the debian plumbing, so its use is a bit different from what i
believe you have in the linux-m68k CVS, which is the whole source tree, right ?