Re: kernel-package Help

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:59:17 +0900, Horms  <horms@debian.org> said:

> thanks for your quick response. However, I don't think that using an
> epoch will reslove the problem.

> To clarify the problem there are two source packages,
> kernel-image-1-i386-2.4.26 and kernel-image-1-i386-2.4.27, each of

	Umm. These don't seem to be packages generated by
 kernel-package, so there is something else that is going on.

> which provide a number of binary packages.  Most of these packages
> have names of the form kernel-*-2.4.26-1-* and
> kernel-*-2.4.27-1-*. This works just fine. However, there are some

	Again, these are not image package names that can be generated
 using kernel-package.  Perhaps I should pipe down, in that case,
 since I have no idea of the mechanism involved in creating these.

> packages of the form kernel-*-2.4-*, for example
> kernel-image-2.4-386. These latter packages are provided by both
> source packages, hence the problem.

	If kernel-package had been used, then these packages would not
 have been created by two different source packages -- partof the
 design decisions taken for kernel-package.

> I think that the best way forward is for kernel-image-1-i386-2.4.26
> to ommit the kernel-*-2.4-* packages and only provide the
> kernel-image-1-i386-2.4.26 packages. Leaving
> kernel-image-1-i386-2.4.27 to provide both the kernel-*-2.4-* and
> kernel-*-2.4.27-1-* packages.  However I am not clear on how to get
> kpkg to allow me to do this.

	make-kpkg does not do any of these packages, so you need to
 figure out how to change whatever mechanism is being used to create
 them.

> Would a better sulolution be to just force the
> kernel-image-1-i386-2.4.26 provided kernel-*-2.4-* packages into the
> archive somehow?

> If it helps, you can see a list of packages that are provided by
> kernel-image-1-i386-2.4.26 at the following URL. The ones that don't
> contain 2.4.26-1 in the name are the ones that are also provided by
> the corresponding 2.4.27 package and are the cause of concern.

> http://debian.vergenet.net/pending/kernel-image-2.4.26-i386-2.4.26/

	I must say I am disappointed in the new kernel image
 management; Herbert used to keep kernel-package in the loop  when
 making changes, and tus there was no disconnect between user-created
 packages and Debian official packages.  From what I can tell in this
 exchange, that is no longer the case.

	manoj
--
Snacktrek, n.: The peculiar habit, when searching for a snack, of
constantly returning to the refrigerator in hopes that something new