Kernel 2.6.8 and reiserfs corruption

I had an up-to-date installation of Debian unstable
running the 2.4.26 kernel with reiserfs 3.6 on a
Maxtor 6Y080L0 IDE drive, PIIX4 chipset (Dell OptiPlex
GX1).
I decided to give a try to the 2.6.8 kernel but it
hung displaying the NVIDIA logo. After a few tries and
hard reboots I found that the old kernel wasn't
booting too. The Debian partition was heavily
corrupted and the system unusable.

Since other people
(http://www.linuxcompatible.org/thread28290-1.html)
seem to have experienced similar problems with
reiserfs and the 2.6.8 kernel I thought it useful to
send a warning here.