Re: Proposition: latest kernel source dependency package

Hi,

Goswin von Brederlow writes:

> Some people want the latest 2.4 kernel, some the latest 2.6 kernel.

Yes.

> Both should be possible.

Yes.

> So kernel-tree-2.4 and kernel-tree-2.6 should be there.

Not necessarily.  A kernel-tree tracker package only depends on the
latest version, but doesn't conflict with the old ones.  So even with
a tracker package installed, you can have as many real kernel-tree
packages as you want.

> I doubt anyone wants to magically jump from 2.6 to a 2.7 or 2.8
> kernel when it comes out, sticking with one 2.x series is probably
> meta enough.

First, there's no magic there.  After pulling in the latest kernel
tree, the user has to build, install and reboot that kernel to
actually use it.

Second, having pulled some of my boxen across three stable releases, a
package tracking the corresponding transitions from 2.0 to 2.2 to 2.4
and soon to 2.6 would have been nifty.  Not that it really matters if
you use it every two or three years.

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!