Re: Review request - PowerPC patches

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 01:03:46PM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 10:31:52AM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> > So far, all the patches have been tested on a small scale and found to
> > be working.  If you have the time, please let me know whether each
> > patch in its present form should
> >
> > a) stay where it is indefinitely
> > b) stay where it is now and included upstream eventually
> > c) thrown out and replaced by something better
>
> asfs.diff
>
>  Should go upstream sooner or later but need works.  IMHO should be
>  dropped and made into kernel-patch-asfs

I oppose this. I will be working with the author to make it
upstream-worthy, but please give me one serious reason why it should be
kicked out of the powerpc patch set right now ? It may be of lesser
quality than it should, but it offers a service to some users that is
not possible right now, and also, removing this patch from the powerpc
debian kernel would definitively make all the pegasos userbase stop
using the debian kernel in facor of a selfbuilt one (or i will probably
be building non-debian kernel or something such).

> pegasos.diff
>
>  Arch/ppc part should go upstream, although upstream told me on irc they
>  remember they weren't happy with the last version they got, so it might

Upstream being benh, right ?

>  need work.  Maybe the patch author (Sven?) could ask for review on
>  linuxppc-devel again?

Yep, but not yet. I will submit there once i am confortable with the
patch being ready for upstream inclusion, which needs some work from me,
and probably also a new Open Firmware from the pegasos OF folk.

I would like help on the via82cxxx driver issue though, on where exactly
i can set the irq. The mention of doing this in arch specific code is a
bit obscure to me.