Re: debian kernel oops on usb bluetooth dongle disconnect

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 01:08:54PM +0400, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:

> > One of our goals is to get more debian kernel patches into the upstream
> > kernel.org sources. Can you reproduce this with a stock 2.6.6 from
> > kernel.org? If so, please report it directly at bugzilla.kernel.org.
>
> I probably can, but is that really needed? The problem is not
> debian-specific, it was discussed in linux-usb-mailing list in april.

Probably it's time to define a policy for debian kernels in order to
understand what is the definition of 'acceptable' for kernel patches to
be included in stock sources, in respect with patches to be rejected or
packaged as kernel-patch.

My own idea is that a patch which allow a peripheral working or a
kernel usable on a more large basis of boxes IS acceptable for a
debian stock kernel. A patch which add features not available
in vanilla should be packaged a parti (or discussed), instead.

Quality parameters of the patch is surely also questionable, too.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine