Re: NMU: kernel

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 09:17:38AM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Christoph Hellwig writes:
>
> > What's the problem with a single source package again?
>
> A new upload will trigger the autobuilders and result in new
> kernel-image packages for all architectures, even if the change only
> affects a single architecture.  This means that kernel packages that
> have not been tested at all on some platforms will be let into
> unstable.

I wouldn't want to let any untested packages flow into unstable anyway.
unstable is not stable for reason but we should do some testing before.

Especially for the slower architectures having done a compile with a
crosscompiler before the source package is handed to the buildd is very
important to avoid FTBFSs.

What I have in mind is a setup with daily cross-compiled kernel builds
from the cvs repository that get uploaded in some central location so
we a) know it builds and b) people can easily test it work.

In addition night QA test runs would also be nice if get a pool of
enough machines with serial consoles and automated reset lines together,
we're using that with great success at SGI.