Re: Kmix master volume with Pulse

Am Sunday 27 March 2011 schrieb Seb:
> Hi,
>
> Last month I ran into a couple of issues with sound on my AMD 64 Debian
> unstable system.  First, I noticed speech-dispatcher was blocking my
> sound card.  I solved this by setting:
>
> ,-----[ /etc/default/speech-dispatcher ]
>
> | # Defaults for the speech-dispatcher initscript, from
> | speech-dispatcher
> |
> | # Set to yes to start system wide Speech Dispatcher
> | RUN=no
>
> `-----
>
> and now I can see a single "PulseAudio Sound Server" listed under
> System Settings -> Multimedia (Device Preference tab), and got sounds
> again. Amarok wouldn't play anything with the default Gstreamer (from
> the multimedia.org repository; I remember some conflicts between these
> packages and stock Debian) backend, so I also had to select VLC as
> back end to make that work.

See

http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#KDE

and

http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/KDE

for more information regarding to KDE and Pulseaudio. Maybe KDE has
something on

http://userbase.kde.org

as well.

This cleared some of my confusion for me. Instead of "Pulseaudio server"
you should get output names when everything is running correctly. See
there.

> The other issue is that the master volume from Kmix doesn't adjust
> volume at all.  Using other options under "Select Master Channel" in
> Kmix doesn't make any difference.  However, using alsamixer, I noticed
> that volume can actually be controlled from the "Side 3" level.  This
> seems odd, since the Master channel in alsamixer's GUI is at max.

I didn't see that.

> I must admit I'm very confused about the roles of Pulse, Phonon, Alsa,
> and the different back ends for controlling sound in KDE, so navigating
> this is quite difficult.  Any help would be appreciated.

Count me in. That is a quite high software stack.

Phonon
Xine / Gstreamer / VLC
ffmpeg
Pulseaudio