Re: KDE SC 4.5.0

Sveiki,

On ketvirtadienis 12 Rugpjūtis 2010 09:02:58 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 12 August 2010 schrieb Sam Leon:
> > On 08/11/2010 10:24 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> > > Why is KDE 4.5 more important than any other piece of software
> > > released after the freeze?
> > >
> > > The freeze has to happen at some point or the release never occurs.
> > > The *point* of the freeze to to stop introducing new upstream
> > > versions so that all efforts can go toward resolving bugs, in order
> > > of decreasing severity.
> > >
> > > So, unless you have something to convince the release team to allow
> > > KDE 4.5 in AND are volunteering the extra effort required to package
> > > KDE SC 4.5 and resolve bugs without delaying the release, I think
> > > the team should focus on making KDE SC 4.4 (and the rest of the
> > > software they maintain) of the highest quality possible before
> > > release day.
> > >
> > > My opinion only.  I'm not on the team, nor do I speak for it.
> >
> > Well 4.5 does have 16,000 bug fixes....
> >
> > http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/kde-45-released-1723-new-features-16
> > 022-bug-fixes/9276
> >
> > And it took 6 months to get here, a shame to miss by only 1 week....
>
> The focus on bug fixing is what would me like to see it in Squeeze too and
> the chance to have Akonadi 1.4 but this newer Akonadi might even work with
> KDE 4.4.

It works. However, I said a couple of months ago, it needed help and nobody
stepped up, and now it is too late.

> An approach would be to put 4.5 packages into experimental and ask for
> public testing here. If KDE 4.5.0 proves to be of required high quality
> for a Debian release then why not use it for Squeeze. But then the KDE/Qt
> developers would have to maintain KDE 4.4.5 packages as well as KDE 4.5
> packages until it is clear that KDE 4.5 packages can be used for the
> release. And it could turn out that this would be 2-3 months until KDE
> 4.5.2 or so.

Regardless of the package quality of the future versions, there is no way KDE
4.5 could enter squeeze. And 4.4.5 must stay in unstable until squeeze is
released. So "boring" freeze period + starvation of new upstream versions for
more complicated software are ahead for sid users (like during any freeze).
Only experimental is fully open to new software.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>