Re: KOffice 2.2.0 available for general consumption

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 02:07:58PM -0400, kap4lin wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Ana Guerrero <ana@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > KOffice 2.2.0 is available for amd64 & i386 from the semi-official repository
> > at: http://qt-kde.debian.net/
> >
> > It is still to be decided if KOffice 2.2.0 will make it into Squeeze, I am
> > currently inclined to do so. However, it is not yet fully decided and I would
> > love some well argumented feedback. Take into consideration some apps are more
> > mature than others.
>
> Out of curiosity, I installed koffice on a spare Virtualbox VM
> (Debian/sid - sidux). The VM itself is kept updated.
>
> Both kword and kspread crashed (repeatedly & deterministically) when
> trying to open new blank document! Karbon, Krita, Kpresenter at least
> opened a blank document.
>
> > In the case of crashes, install the package koffice-dbg to get a backtrace.
> > Read more at:
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Debugging/How_to_create_useful_crash_reportss
>
> As I said, it was just out of curiosity. So, apologies! I do not use
> koffice and I don't see myself using it in foreseeable future. In
> fact, I don't see myself running squeeze either! So, I'll refrain from
> this :(
>
> Even if it gets included, I just hope there is a disclaimer, very
> easily visible to the end user [*,**], that kword, kspread (and may be
> kpresenter) are at best pre-alpha quality softwares! I understand that
> a lot of work has gone into krita (and karbon) so it is worth
> including koffice just for these.

Sorry but I do not see the point of reporting here it crashes if you do not
try to check what is the problem, it might have been very well a problem in
*your* system or a problem that is easily fixable.
kword, kspread open here a new document without problem, yes they crash from
time to time but not when you open a blank new document. Also, you are using
sidux, AFAIK it should not be very far from Debian unstable but that packages
are for a pure Debian unstable instalation (FWIW, they also fine in my netbook
with testing).

Ana