Re: memory usage

* On 2010 11 May 14:44 -0500, Marcus Better wrote:

> Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > with such large applications. Have you already tried to set
> > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness to zero?
>
> After some initial testing, I think it did the trick! Amazing, thanks a lot!
>
> The default swappiness setting (60) seems to be a horrible choice for
> desktops.

Debian is not a desktop oriented distribution.  This is evidenced by not
having an alternate kernel in the archive with a desktop configuration.
Other distributions do seem to have some sort of desktop performance
advantage, it seems to me at least.  Having a desktop enabled kernel is
left as an exercise for the local admin.

- Nate >>