Re: What needs to improve in KDE 4?

Dotan,

On Monday 10 May 2010 18.12:46 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I started 4.4 on a new ~/.kde
> folder, can you try in a new user profile and report back?

I hate it when this shows up.  Yes, it's probably easier to debug, but often
bugs *do* show up that don't happen anymore when I remove my ~/.kde
directory, but this doesn't really help the user who has the bug.
Unfortunately, the end result is very often that removing ~/.kde and
starting from scratch becomes the only solution that is "officially"
recommended.

Fine.  Except that reconfiguring my desktop to how I want it takes ages.  I
use offline IMAP and have 100s of MB of email in my ~/.kde that will need to
be re-downloaded.  And stuff like the calendar etc. is in there, too.  And
the nepomuk database etc.

So yes, KDE people may well want to know if a bug happens on old
configurations only or if it happens on new configurations, but I think
there's an attitude problem here: KDE needs to become MUCH better at dealing
with unexpected input from its configuration.  (I don't have a precise
example right now; I'll try to report this kind of issue when I see it next.
Admittedly, KDE has improved in this area as well.)

cheers
-- vbi

--
featured link: http://www.pool.ntp.org