Re: KDE 4.4.3 in unstable

Hello,

On penktadienis 07 Gegužė 2010 20:02:08 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > On penktadienis 07 Gegužė 2010 01:59:39 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > > I think that KMail requiring MySQL to function in Debian stable is a
> > > problem. I request that the Qt/KDE packaging team take steps to ensure
> > > that Debian stable users are not stranded with that situation for the
> > > lifetime of stable.
> >
> > Generally, you need to stop talking and generalizing
> >
> >  what you don't know (like keep claiming that releasing with different
> >  versions wasn't considered despite obvious proof on the contrary).
>
> Really?  It was rejected out-of-hand when I suggested using KDEPIM 4.3.
>
> Quoting: "Move on.  kdepim 4.3 is gone."
> Quoting: "KDE 4.4 is the current stable release, there is not much more
> options here"

It's exactly as you see. Reverting to kdepim 4.3 (because it supposedly does
not need mysqld) is not an option for consideration because "disadvantages"
out-weights advantages way too much. What I meant with "despite obvious proof
on the contrary" is openness to consider akonadi update options which I have
told you in my very first reply. It's good to have volunteer(s) for the job.

> > > I'm not saying to get rid of Akonadi-tied KMail.  I'm certainly not
> > > saying "Akonadi by itself is a bug".  I'd be perfectly happy with
> > > Akonadi/PostgreSQL making it into stable, in fact I'd be excited to
> > > play with Akonadi!
> >
> > PostgreSQL/SQLite is a FEATURE, it is not a bug which has to be fixed no
> > matter what.
>
> I'm not willing to argue feature vs. bug.  Having a KMail with a strong
> dependency on MySQL in a Debian stable release would be a problem, IMO.  It
> is especially onerous likely to only affect KMail from KDE SC 4.4.x and
> not from earlier or (if progress continues) later releases.

It is merely an annoyance, not even a bug. And Debian is supposed to give up
bug fixes and enhancements in stable kdepim 4.4.x in order to avoid your pet
annoyance? Kinda selfish. But really, let's just stop here, we won't agree
anyway so let's do something useful rather than argue pointlessly.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>