Re: KDE 4.4.3 in unstable

On Friday 07 May 2010 04:39:00 Modestas Vainius wrote:
> Initial akonadi trunk packaging is at [1]. I have been using it with SQLite
> for over a month now. Yet I don't use akonadi features extensively (not
>  even addressbook or korganizer) so I can't tell much about quality of the
>  code. But I can tell you that if you don't step up, this plan probably
>  won't make it.
>
> 1. http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-kde/branches/akonadi-
> trunk/#_branches_akonadi-trunk_

Thank you.  Since you seem to have SQLite working, I'll focus my efforts on
testing, documentation, and bug fixing on that.

> On penktadienis 07 Gegužė 2010 01:59:39 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > I think that KMail requiring MySQL to function in Debian stable is a
> > problem. I request that the Qt/KDE packaging team take steps to ensure
> > that Debian stable users are not stranded with that situation for the
> > lifetime of stable.
>
> Generally, you need to stop talking and generalizing
>  what you don't know (like keep claiming that releasing with different
>  versions wasn't considered despite obvious proof on the contrary).

Really?  It was rejected out-of-hand when I suggested using KDEPIM 4.3.

Quoting: "Move on.  kdepim 4.3 is gone."
Quoting: "KDE 4.4 is the current stable release, there is not much more
options here"

> > I'm not saying to get rid of Akonadi-tied KMail.  I'm certainly not
> > saying "Akonadi by itself is a bug".  I'd be perfectly happy with
> > Akonadi/PostgreSQL making it into stable, in fact I'd be excited to play
> > with Akonadi!
>
> PostgreSQL/SQLite is a FEATURE, it is not a bug which has to be fixed no
> matter what.

I'm not willing to argue feature vs. bug.  Having a KMail with a strong
dependency on MySQL in a Debian stable release would be a problem, IMO.  It is
especially onerous likely to only affect KMail from KDE SC 4.4.x and not from
earlier or (if progress continues) later releases.