Re: KDE 4.4.3 in unstable

Am Freitag 07 Mai 2010 schrieb Modestas Vainius:
> Hello,

Hello Modestas,

> On penktadienis 07 Gegužė 2010 01:59:39 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > I should have some time to pitch in and help before and after the
> > freeze date. What can I do to make sure KMail doesn't need Akonadi
> > when Squeeze is released?  I've been told that back-porting the
> > Akonadi/PostgreSQL patches is unlikely to help.
> >
> > I'm not averse to helping, but I don't have lots of time -- a few
> > evenings a week at most.  I'm not "unable" to help, but I'm not too
> > familiar with Debian packging of the KDE SC 4.x code case -- I can
> > read/write all the computer languages involved, though.
>
> Supporting and testing unreleased or beta software is the biggest
> problem. If you want your pet issue fixed, you have to get akonadi
> from trunk, build it, test whole Debian's KDE 4.4.x *extensively* with
> it including third party akonadi plugins like googledata one. Finally
> severe regressions should be fixed. For packaging, README.Debian needs
> to be written on how to switch DB backends since there won't be GUI
> for it. And when this is done, that akonadi could be considered for
> stable.
>
> In other words, you have to do part of upstream release management work
> without knowing the code well. You can be sure that upstream won't be
> pleased with Debian releasing unreleased version of akonadi. But maybe
> you can convince them otherwise to release earlier to accommodate
> Debian needs. There is lots of work to be done.
>
> Initial akonadi trunk packaging is at [1]. I have been using it with
> SQLite for over a month now. Yet I don't use akonadi features
> extensively (not even addressbook or korganizer) so I can't tell much
> about quality of the code. But I can tell you that if you don't step
> up, this plan probably won't make it.

Now thats an offer to help for anyone who has a problem with a MySQL based
Akonadi. But I thought SQLite would not be suitable for Akonadi. Did
change it seems.

> 1. http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-kde/branches/akonadi-
> trunk/#_branches_akonadi-trunk_

How would one compile packages out of this? svn co akonadi-trunk from KDE
project, svn checkout above URL and place the debian directory into the
KDE akonadi-trunk checkout?

> > I'm not saying to get rid of Akonadi-tied KMail.  I'm certainly not
> > saying "Akonadi by itself is a bug".  I'd be perfectly happy with
> > Akonadi/PostgreSQL making it into stable, in fact I'd be excited to
> > play with Akonadi!
>
> PostgreSQL/SQLite is a FEATURE, it is not a bug which has to be fixed
> no matter what. If you want it in, stop ranting and start working on
> it. Give fewer lessons how Debian works and actually do something
> useful towards your goal. Especially since the lack of technical
> knowledge or background should not be the problem for you.

Thanks a lot Modestas for staying so constructive in this discussion.

Yes, thats an option. I might even try these packages, although except for
that annoying first start problems the current MySQL based Akonadi seems to
work quite well.

Well but I am not completely satisfied with current Akonadi either I might
be interested in testing Akonadi trunk and helping with it.

Boyd, this and raising concerns regarding MySQL based Akonadi upstream -
in a constructive manner - will likely help more than continuining the
discussion here.

Ciao,