Re: Kde 3.5 ...

Am Donnerstag 06 Mai 2010 schrieb Mike Bird:
> On Thu May 6 2010 10:24:08 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > > Even with perfect packaging KDE SC 4 is slow and unreliable,
> >
> > Slow? Can you elaborate? I can help with that.
> >
> > Unreliable? In what way?
>
> Are you aware that KDE PIM developers noticed that the percentage of
> KMail users on KDE-PIM's own mailing list has dropped below 50%?  Even
> KDE developers are fed up with KDE unreliability.

Strange. Especially with KMail I find the KDE 4 version sooo much better
than the KDE 3 one. KMail in KDE 4.3 or 4.4 just rocks. Thomas McGuire and
other have put sooo much work into it.

> Did you check my email's user-agent string?  It's "KMail/1.9.9" - the
> last Debian STABLE KMail.  How come you're not using KMail if it's so
> stable in KDE SC 4?

Then look as my user agent string. Its latest KMail as of in KDE 4.4.3.

> Have you ever actually tried converting normal office workers from
> KDE 3.5 to KDE SC 4?  I have.  Twice.  Utter failure.

I just don't get it. I do not want to go back to KMail from KDE 3.5.10
with all its instabilities regarding index handling, its IMAP related
crashes and whatnot.

Actually right now - okay on my laptop with POP 3 still - I do not
remember when KMail or Kontact that is lastly crashed.

Granted for office use I still have Lenny, but part of the reason just is
that I do not yet want to put Squeeze on the workstation at work unless
the X.org radeon KMS woes are sorted and I have the feeling that Squeeze
is pretty much in freeze and stabilization phase.

But then Lenny is still current stable and even when Squeeze is released,
say end of 2010, maybe later, then Lenny will receive security updates for
another year. Thus you can use a fully supported KDE at least till approx.
end of 2011.

Ciao,