Re: KDE 4.4.3 in unstable

wrote:
> > > I'm still using kmail/kontact/etc. (basically kdepim) from 4.3
> > > since I have no desire to run yet another RDBMS on my system.  (I
> > > already run PostgreSQL, and have a number of apps that use SQLite
> > > installed.)

> > > Okay, ending this email here, because thinking about a stable
> > > Debian that includes KDEPIM 4.4 angers and saddens me.
> >
> > How many users have postgres installed on their desktop? Do you
> > complain
> >
> >  just because `ps aux | grep mysqld` returns something and you can't
> >  stand it or you have any real issues with it?
>
> I have real issues with having to spare the disk space and RAM on my
> laptop for it.  PostgreSQL is for work; I don't get much choice about
> running that.
>
> I also have a history with MySQL and I *do* *not* *trust* it with my
> data. UPS or not.  My email is fairly important for me -- I am
> probably in KMail only slightly less than I am in a source code
> editor.  When I'm testing or deploying updates, I spend *more* time in
> KMail.

KMail doesn't use Akonadi at all in KDE 4.4. It might use Akonadi in KDE
4.5. The only thing using Akonadi by default in KDE 4.4 is the new
KAddressBook. AFAIK.

So KDE 4.5 might even be more problematic in the beginning. Especially
when I remember the roughnesses of KDE 4.3.0 and KDE 4.4.0 I do not
suggest to ship a .0 or even .1 release of KDE. Even KDE 4.4.2 had quite
some bugs that KDE 4.4.3 fixed.

So shipping KDE 4.4.3 or 4.4.4 oder 4.4.5 IMHO could well be a better
option that to ship KDE 4.5.0 with Debian Squeeze.

Sadly I have not seen any KDE 4.x.0 release yet thats really suitable for
Debian Stable.

Ciao,