Re: KDE 4.4.3 in unstable

On Thursday, 2010-05-06, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 May 2010, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > In 4.3, this is not true.  From what I hear on upstream mailing
> > lists, this  won't be true in 4.5.  Upstream is already aware and
> > working on the issue, but it falls under "new feature" so it won't
> > be included in the 4.4.x line.
>
> Do you have a pointer to the discussion?
>
> As far as the safety of your data is concerned, none of your emails are
> stored in MySQL (yet). Mail storage is still in the file system, Akonadi
> is only used for contacts.
>
> That said, I'd be much happier myself without having to run yet another
> database server on my machine. Right now there are "global" instances of
> PostgreSQL and MySQL (personal and for work); on top of that, for each
> logged-in user, Akonadi runs a private MySQL server as well as a
> virtuoso server. Incidentally, virtuoso is a SQL database in its own
> right, persumably fully capable of completing supplanting MySQL in this
> case.

Akonadi can be configure to use a global instance, the default is to run a
private one purely because the other option requires database admin
priviledges to set it up.

Virtuoso indeed looks like a solution to go forward with, unfortunately it
currently has some problems with the combination of ODBC and the respective
QSql driver.

Cheers,
Kevin