Re: KBluetooth vs. Borden

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 6:59 AM, Borden Rhodes <jrvp@bordenrhodes.com> wrote:
> Hullo, all,
>
> I'm using Squeeze and I'm assuming that the kdebluetooth packages work, even
> if they're still using the old Qt3 libraries.  Of course, kbluetooth does not
> recognise my tablet's Bluetooth system even though hcitool does.  Yes, I've
> triple-checked that I'm a member of *both* the netdev and bluetooth groups.
>
> I have a Creative Bluetooth Headset (yes, they do exist) which I'm trying to
> use as a microphone/mono-headphone on my Debian laptop.  I've tried following
> http://wiki.bluez.org/wiki/HOWTO/AudioDevices with absolutely no success at .
> Any attempts to connect to the headset with
>
> hcitool info XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX (with the XXs, obviously, replaced with the
> headset's Bluetooth address)
>
> gets rewarded with
>
> Can't create connection: Operation not permitted
>
> whereas
>
> sudo hcitool info XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
>
> gets rewarded with
>
> Can't create connection: Input/output error
>
> Yes, all of the hardware *does* work.  I've tested it and proven it.
>
> So, my question goes to all of the KDE users on Squeeze: does Bluetooth work
> for you.  If so, how?

The problem is that the version of kdebluetooth that is on Squeeze is
incompatible with the latest bluez (read: The problem is *not* kde4).

hcitool should work. Since it doesn't work, this must be a bug in
bluez. I suggest you to try many times with the same command, as bluez
seems to return an error too early some times (I get similar errors
while connecting my bluetooth mouse sometimes).

As for an alternative bluetooth gui, you can try either kdebluetooth
from experimental or gnome's bluetooth-applet (in package
bluez-gnome). Both suck, unfortunately...

Regards,
George