Re: kde 4.3.4 is building for unstable now ;-) [OT] nvidia-installer Vs m-a

Alle sabato 12 dicembre 2009, Manolete, ese artista ha scritto:
> El Sábado 12 Diciembre 2009 18:30:51 usted escribió:
> > > I'm using closed drivers 190.42 from Nvidia's site
> >
> > Could somebody tell me what's so attractive about that broken
> > nvidia installer?
>
> Yes, that it works at the first attempt besides not installing a
>  bunch of packages I'm not going to use for anything else since all
>  my required drivers are already in the kernel or perfectly packaged
>  and up to date in the repos. I haven't ever needed module-assistant
>  & co. since I admitted official Nvidia installer was making my life
>  easier and switched to it. It just works flawlessly: you execute the
>  file, answer a coupe of questions, it even configures your
>  xorg.conf, simple and effective; at least that's what I can say from
>  my experience.
>
> If Nvidia drivers "a la Debian" were so easy and quick to install and
>  upgrade as ATI ones I'm sure almost everyone of us who use official
>  drivers would switch to "a la Debian"'s without blinking (I know, I
>  know ATI has been by far much more collaborative. I'm not blaming
>  Debian guys, not even criticizing them; I totally believe it's
>  Nvidia's fault, and Debian-Nvidia people are doing all the best they
>  can), but official installer works better and is less complicated,
>  at least, I repeat, in my case; don't know what others may have
>  experienced, but I dare to guess thay have more or less a similar
>  experience.

My experience led me to the opposite conclusions: module-assistant
allows to integrate very well the nvidia drivers in the system and it's
more simple than the nvidia-installer. Generally, using nvdia-installer
when there is an upgrade/revision of the xorg packages, you always need
to run the nvidia-installer again. Ops, I beg your pardon, first you
need to kill any KDM/GDM/Xorg instance (but don't go to init 1!),
otherwise nvidia-installer complains and then you can run it. From that
moment, by default it will remove everything before installing itself
again and if you have more than one kernel you must specify to NOT
remove any other kernel driver you might have compiled before. This is a
waste of time in my opinion, that's why I have switched to the Debian
way: 1) the upgrades of Xorg packages never touch the nvidia packages
(mostly OpenGL related components), 2) you need to recompile and install
just the nvidia kernel module if you use custom kernels. In case you
have installed only the kernels provided by Debian, all you have to do
is downloading and installing the pre-compiled drivers specific for your
kernels. On top of that, consider that the Debian developers, that are
taking care of the nvidia drivers, in the last three/four years have
become quicker and quicker in packaging the new versions of the driver
just few days after its official release.
Cheers

Valerio