Re: Jobs in Notifications and Jobs never complete

I aplologize, you are correct. In essence, my response to your quenstions are below.

Mostly when I see the notifier in the first place is when I am copying files. It works for smaller stuff, but large copies do not ever complete. As I stated, this time it has been running for nearly 3 days. It stopped copying within the first 2 hrs or so, and I successfully rsynced it in the meantime...Twice.

I will look around, and if I don't find anything, open a bug.

--b

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Diederik de Haas <didi.debian@cknow.org> wrote:
On Friday 09 October 2009 16:45:30 B. Alexander wrote:
> Hi Diederik,
>
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Diederik de Haas <didi.debian@cknow.org>wrote:
> > On 2009-10-08 B. Alexander wrote:
> > > but the notification icon is still showing 0/1 with the spinner, and
> > > according to it, the job still has 8 days 9 hours remaining. It's
> > > sitting here spinning like it is working, but I know it isn't
> >
> > Have you tried to wait for (quite) a while?
> > I've had numerous times that I saw the notification ... looking like it's
> > taking a long time or not
> > responding at all ... then bam: done.
>
> It has been running for two days now. In the meantime, I checked network
> traffic as well as directory contents on the target machine, verified that
> it was not running, then rsynced the entire directory in an hour.
>
> A couple of other times, I had that notification running for over a week,
> but couldn't restart X because I had other things going on.
>
> > I have such behavior when I click on a link in KMail (my default browser
> > is Iceweasel). Most of the
> > times it takes a while before Iceweasel pops up with the URL. Other
> > times, it does happen quickly.
> > Another time when I see the spinner for quite a while is when (trying to)
> > transferring a file with
> > kopete ... (usually) slow as hell.
>
> I only ever see it on
>
> > My observations regarding the spinner:
> > - Sometimes KDE seems to think for (quite) a while what to do
> > - The displayed time it'll take is not always accurate.
>
> Is there a way to reset it without restarting KDE?
>
> --b

Hi,

it's better to reply to the list, that way not only I will see it but others as well.

Other than that, it does seem like it's failing somehow.
What would also help is detailing the long-running-task as that may give (others) clues as well as
to why it's not working. And if you can't find a solution/workaround, you'd best file a report on
bugs.kde.org

Diederik