Plasma Just Sits There

Rebooted this morning and kde came up with a blank screen. I can run anything
I want using yakuake. If I restart kmail, I have that visible and I can us
that as well. No plasma, no panel.

Trying to start up in a terminal session from another desktoop (oh, yes, there
are such animals!), I get an interminable list of nepomuk/akonadi notices. I
tried removing akonadi but that did not help.

I actually have kicker up right now so I have menus.

Now, I had restarted X and kdm after upgrading some packages yesterday and it
worked fine. Also, my wife's desktop comes up immediately without a hitch. So
... what gives? Wait for next upgrade? Help :-)