Re: Pulseaudio and its Daemons

On Saturday, 2009-08-22, David Baron wrote:
> On Friday 21 August 2009 13:16:48 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Thursday, 2009-08-20, David Baron wrote:
> > > KDE 4.3 comes up with pulseaudio whether I want it or not. If I were to
> > > use it, I need to start it with options other than the default used, I
> > > sincerely believe.
> >
> > Which package did you install that depends on Pulseaudio?
> > Can't you just remove it if you have mixing capabilities elsewhere
> > (driver, hardware, etc)?
>
> Easy enough. However, pulse is just there. It is not causing problems and
> some future version might even be useful!

Right.

> > > Problem is that, as I have stated, an instance of hald and dbus, owned
> > > by haldaemon and messageboxd.., are started with it. These bog down the
> > > system. Plasma-desktop will be taking > 30%, the daemns 10-20%, this
> > > idle.
> >
> > I think the system bus D-Bus and HAL are started through the init
> > scripts. After all they are system daemons, not user session ones.
>
> Correct. They used to be root-owned, now they have their own owners (please
> forgive).

I think that at least D-Bus was always owned by a different user. This is part
of the priviledge separation feature it provides.
HAL might have required root at earlier versions to interact with all this
kernel stuff.

> > Certain features will not work if they require interaction with system
> > components (powermanagement settings, network settings, etc), but there
> > should be not problem starting KDE.
>
> KDE will not start if I have killed them. Runs fine without them until Ilog
> out.

Hmm, interesting.
Didn't know there was a dependency on the system bus.

> Since these were there before 4.3 and other recent Sid upgrades, they in
> themselves are not the problem. Something in  4.3's core or in recent Xorg
> is exercising them.

Right, xorg depends on D-Bus and HAL for detecting devices.

Cheers,
Kevin