Re: Quanta (was: kdebase-runtime upgrade problems)

On Thu 2009-08-06, Arthur Marsh wrote:
> I run most packages from unstable, but have kept KDE at 3.5.9/3.5.10
> as my reason for running KDE in the first place was Quanta, which is
> still at 4:3.5.9-3, and does not "see" cervisia versions later than
> 4:3.5.9-3 and needs kdebase-kio-plugins 4:3.5.X also.

 Hi Arthur,

 I run quanta+ on my box (unstable with KDE 4.2.4) and it takes
 a little wrangling (a small --force-all install script of the quanta
 deb package).  But it works a treat.

 Note, I don't use cervisia - any CVS stuff I do, I do with the svn
 command line - nor do I use the other things that haven't come
 across - kfilereplace, kommander, klinkstatus.

 If 4.3 makes even this option impossible for me, I expect I'll end
 up cranking up a stable distro-in-a-VM, probably kept headless,
 and just run quanta over X.  It sounds like I prefer that editor as
 much as you do. :)

 I don't see the VM option as being hugely arduous or heavy, it's
 just messy.  And behind that mess is the sadness that there was
 never more interest from other developers (the primary developer
 did pretty much 99% of the work, AFAICT) for Quanta+.  It's also
 sad that despite something like NetBeans being 100MB (quanta is
 just 6MB) installed, it's slower and has less of the basic
 functionality I need.  Quanta/Kate, despite being a few years since
 it had some serious lovin', is still one of the best PHP IDE's.

 I have been hunting around for more news on Quanta - it seems
 it might be resurrected, but the postings I've seen, given their
 vintage and stated expectations, suggest that it will be many
 months away.  There was some interesting work done on getting
 PHP support into kdevelop - the results sounded quite impressive - but
 required a fair bit of user-compilation of non-supported lumps of
 code .. and there was an expectation amongst the developers there
 that it would be a very short term experiment (again, they were
 thinking Quanta 4 would eventually fill the gap).

 I'm probably going to upgrade to 4.3 in a day or so - once the
 package mirroring and other little buglets have been sorted out,
 and can report back then on whether quanta can still be coerced
 into running under it.

 cheers,
 Jedd.