Re: kdebase-runtime upgrade problems

Hello,

On ketvirtadienis 06 Rugpjūtis 2009 15:06:05 Arthur Marsh wrote:
> Thanks for the quick turnaround, but it leaves me with an interesting
> situation.
>
> I run most packages from unstable, but have kept KDE at 3.5.9/3.5.10 as
> my reason for running KDE in the first place was Quanta, which is still
> at 4:3.5.9-3, and does not "see" cervisia versions later than 4:3.5.9-3
> and needs kdebase-kio-plugins 4:3.5.X also.
>
> I have been able to run KDE 3.5.9/3.5.10 with some KDE 4.X packages
> (e.g. okular) where X <= 2.4.
>
> With KDE 4.3.Y hitting unstable, I have had to hold packages like okular
> at version 4.2.4 to avoid upgrading to KDE 4.X as the base environment.
>
> Is it possible to migrate to KDE 4.3.Z and leave enough KDE 3.5.whatever
> compatibility to run programs such as Quanta and Rosegarden which are a
> long way from being ported to KDE 4.x with full functionality?

With the upload of KDE 4.3, this has become a lot harder. Old kdebase-data and
kdebase-runtime are no longer co-installable (intentionally). We have stated
many times that we are NOT willing to support KDE 3.5 desktop in sid. We have
also stated that we are willing to help other people to get some KDE3 apps
like Quanta working with KDE 4 desktop (with proper (re)packaging of it).
Therefore, you are very welcome to start (re)packaging Quanta.

Alternatively, you can hack binary package Depends: field and see it if the
end result works without some dependencies.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>