Current problems (ie. help sought from the brains trust)

 Howdi,

 Okay, first up, 2.4.2 is much much better than 2.4.2, and part of
 that for me was shifting back to an nVidia grunty desktop, from
 an intel-chipset laptop.

 The following are all suffixed with a '... anyone else seeing this,
 and/or have any ideas on how to resolve?'.

 Sometime in the last several days, an update to unstable (looks
 like only some xserver bits and libraries I don't recognise) causes
 my desktop to lockup briefly, plasma/kwin crash, usually on flip-box
 task-switching (alt-tab).

 File-open dialogs now don't respect the single-click to navigate
 thru directories, select files, etc.  This seemed to happen a few
 weeks back I think.

 Amarok 2 hit me, though this is possibly my own fault.  It crashes
 consistently(!) every time I let it run for a few minutes, and it
 looks like it's about 3-5% of the way through indexing my audio
 collection.  I fear this means it's a one-way street from the last
 version, short of snotting the amarok db and pushing back to
 testing versions of amarok.  Audio collection is 93GB (1200 dirs,
 17000 files, on a dm-crypted local fs).

 It also seems desperately eager to use gstreamer, which is installed
 on this box, but doesn't produce any actual noise (from the few
 minutes at a time that I can experiment with it).

 That'll do for now  -- as usual, many thanks to anyone who can
 at least empathise or even better, offer some answers.  ;)

 Jedd.