Re: KDE4 version in sid ?

On Thursday 11 June 2009 11:11:17 David wrote:
> I personally prefer 'aptitude dist-upgrade'
>
> - aptitude is better at finding upgrade solutions (important for
> testing/sid, where the dependencies can change in ways that confuse
> apt-get)
>
> - dist-upgrade, because 'upgrade'  (or safe-upgrade in aptitude),
> because sometimes packages need to be removed during an upgrade, which
> 'upgrade' doesn't do, for safety reasons. Also, with apt-get (as
> opposed to aptitude), no new packages are installed.
>
> The above could be what was holding back your KDE upgrade with apt-get.
>
> David.
aptitude safe-upgrade does remove packages, but only if they're safe to remove
(doesn't break another package).

And aptitude equivalent command to apt-get dist-upgrade is aptitude full-
upgrade.

Personally I always do an aptitude safe-upgrade and if packages are held back
and I want them now, I'll try with aptitude -s full-upgrade to figure out what
will happen and if I'm ok with that, do the full-upgrade.

Diederik