Re: A few problems with KDE 4.2

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 2:47 PM, Sune Vuorela <nospam@vuorela.dk> wrote:
> On 2009-06-03, David <wizzardx@gmail.com> wrote:
>> - Ctrl+Alt+Backspace seems to have been disabled.
>
> That's a Xorg thing, not a kde thing.

Thanks, then I need to check this some more. I fixed the problem
before by setting that "Dontzap" Xorg option to "Off", but the Dontzap
option seems to have no effect now. I thought that KDE4 might be
hijacking it in some way.

> please try the xine backend of phonon.

Thanks.  Like I said, I got it working (by installing various backends
in synaptic), but:

1) Users shouldn't have to do this to get sound working. It should be
a kde-full or other metapackage dependency of some kind (I *might*
have missed it as a suggest somewhere).

2) Ideally, if you need to install extra packages manually to get
sound working, KDE should tell you this, rather than forcing the user
to go hunting on Google. It seems like KDE steals ALSA for itself
(similar to Arts sound daemon seemed to in the past), and the user
needs to go find a way to re-enable the sound.

I was (until I discovered by chance the gstreamer packages in
synaptic)  actually searching for a way to completely disable the KDE
sound system (like I did with arts before), so my apps sound could
work again.

> fixed in 4.2.4 (kdebase-workspace)

Thanks. Do you know when this version will be added to Sid?

> When I see this (with a nvidia card), it requrise a X restart to somehow
> reinitialize things. I_don't see it on my intel machine, so I kind of
> blame nvidia.

Whatever the reason is, it seems like restarting X fixes it. Maybe
that does a more thorough video restart. Possibly KDE could add a hack
for nvidia, that does a similar low level graphical restart to
re-enable compositing? Or maybe some kind of extra option somewhere
that lets you force it.

> afaik, still a work in progress, the script interfaces still have
> something to be finished.  Non-script plasma widgets is not installable
> this way (and will never be)

Thanks for the info. So for the moment, the separately-installable
widgits should be considered as unusable?

> Some things are just different with new versions.

It would be nice to be able to set a Redmond-like mode in a
kpersonalizer-type wizard, like I could in KDE 3.5. Do you know if
there is kpersonalizer-equivalent (hopefully with Redmond etc) planned
for KDE 4 at some point?

> Some things are just different with new versions. I like the
> aggregations.

The good news is that the option to disable aggregations was very easy
to find, so this wasn't a big problem. But coming from 3.5, my kmail
inbox looked very weird. I have a workflow around my email inbox which
the aggregation disrupted.

> Please file a bug on bugs.kde.org

Thanks, I'll do that. Getting your and other people's feedback here
helped a lot, so I can understand the situation a bit better through
discussion before spamming the bug trackers.

>> - The application launcher program doesn't always automatically close
>> when you click outside. Sometimes I have to click on it's icon on the
>> bottom of the screen to make it close.
>
> Bug or feature? I don't know.

A bug in my opinion. For instance, while editing this mail in kwrite,
and I went to the app launcher, and then changed my mind and went back
to kwrite. But the app launcher menu is still floating on top,
obscuring my view of the kwrite window. I had to go back to the menu
to close it. I think the app launcher should always close itself if
the user clicks outside. Is there a good reason why it should stay
floating on the top of everything else until the user manually closes
it? No other menu does this....

> You can make it look like windows 95 if you want.
>
> http://mschlander.wordpress.com/2009/01/29/is-kde-42-too-shiny/

Thanks for the link. I'll try it out soon :-) But what would be very
nice is to get a set of predefined themes (in something like
kpersonalizer), where the user can choose themes like that, without
having to tweak settings a lot of different settings. Again, I (and I
think many other beginner kde 4 users) would really appreciate a
wizard similar to kpersonalizer.

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Benjamin Eikel <debian@eikel.org> wrote:
> Hello David,
>
> Am Mittwoch, 3. Juni 2009 um 14:36:39 schrieb David:
>> - I can't configure the date format in the system tray clock. It shows
>> "3 Jun 2009", I want it to show 2009-06-03
>
> I have reported this as bug 524055 [1].

Thanks.

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Valerio Passini
<valerio.passini@unicam.it> wrote:
> Alle mercoledě 03 giugno 2009, David ha scritto:
> If you use stock kernel you can press the combination Alt+SysStamp+k to kill everything
> running in that console or VT, otherwise you must enable kernel hacking-> Magic sysrq key
> and re-compile.

Awesome, that works great :-)

The main problem I had, is that after logging into KDE 4 again, all of
my Desktop View icons (for text files, etc) had all disappeared. That
was confusing, but I got them to re-appear with right click -> Icons
-> Sort Icons -> By Type

Aside: The lack of a desktop area for my files was also highly
confusing. Thankfully there was a relatively simple way to re-enable
it. I'm not sure how good an idea it is to force new UI paradigms on
users though...

> Launch systemsettings go to Country language options and set manually the date format you
> want if it's not present in the dropdown menu. For exampe:AAAA/MM/DD

My calendar date format is already set to YYYY-MM-DD. I think this may
be a bug (as indicated by other posts in this thread).

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Facundo <budinero@gmail.com> wrote:
> Try KDE 4.2.4.

I'd love to. Does someone know when it will reach Sid? (I prefer not
to build from source). Also, I see that it came out today:

http://kde.org/info/4.2.4.php

Is it safe for (non early adopter) people like myself to start using
new KDE point releases like this immediately? I depend on my WM to
work correctly, so I can get my normal work done.

David.