Re: Publishing own packages for KDE 4.2.3

Am Dienstag, 12. Mai 2009 um 23:07:58 schrieb Sune Vuorela:
> On 2009-05-12, Benjamin Eikel <debian@eikel.org> wrote:
> > Dear list members,
> >
> > this is my first post to this list. I am just building my own amd64 .deb
> > packages for KDE 4.2.3, because I read that it will take some time until
> > there will be official packages in unstable. I downloaded the sources
> > from kde.org and checked out the debian/ subdirectory with the control
> > files for the 4.2.3 packages from the pkg-kde Debian Subversion
> > repository.
> > My question is if I am allowed to upload the resulting packages somewhere
> > and make them available to other people?
>
> License wise, you are fully allowed. But I would hope you wouldn't
> distribute it.
>
> If you still want to distribute it, please make sure your packages are
> versioned like 4:4.2.3-1~eikel0 - so that it is easy recognizable - and
> be prepared to handle any bug reports associated with the packages and
> the upgrades from it to any later debian kde revisions.
>
> Note that the packages are *unfinished* and *unpublished*, and thus
> unsupported by the debian kde team.
> In many cases, the biggest difference is the version number.
>
> /Sune
Hello Sune,

thank you for your fast answer. I understand your arguments and therefore I am
not going to publish these packages (except maybe to one or two friends of
mine, but not publicly).

You write that in many cases the biggest difference is the version number. What
about the fixes that the KDE changelog mentions for KMail? I am primarily
building these packages because of these fixes. Are they already incorporated
as patches into the 4.2.2 Debian packages?

Kind regards,
Benjamin