Imlib1 to be removed (was: Kuickshow replacement in KDE 4.2.2)

Hi,

so far I haven't had a need to port away from Imlib1. Imlib was the fastest
image loading and rendering library and it works just fine.

Despite the name, Imlib2 is *not* a successor of Imlib1, it is a completely
different thing with a different (incompatible) feature set. And even Imlib2
is slower than Imlib2 (I did port KuickShow to Imlib2 to test it, years ago).

I'll run some benchmarks to see if e.g. Qt's image io has been improved, but
I'd be surprised if it was as fast as Imlib1.

What's actually the reason to remove Imlib1 (and can the removal be stopped)?

Cheers,
Carsten