Re: nepomuk/strigi - searching on tags returns nothing

Alle giovedì 26 febbraio 2009, Dominik Schulz ha scritto:
> Am Donnerstag 26 Februar 2009 01:07:35 schrieb Bernard Gray:
> > On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Valerio Passini
> >
> > <valerio.passini@unicam.it> wrote:
> > >
> > > It's a well known problem and there is already a bugreport that you can
> > > read here:
> > > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=502851
> > > Hope this helps you to understand why strigi can't work at least for
> > > now. Valerio
> >
> > That's the answer I was after - thanks a lot :)
>
> I got it working by compiling kdesupport myself. Not a very clean solution,
> but it seems to be working so far. See [1] or [2] for more information.
>
> [1] - http://blog.gauner.org/2009/02/26/kde42-and-nepomuk-on-debian/
> [2] -
> http://www.simplylinux.ch/strigi-nepomuk-sporano-in-kubuntu-810-desktop-
> suche
> --
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards
> Dominik

I appreciate your how-to, but I would really discourage this behaviour since you get a mixed environment that it's difficult to track if you are not an experienced user and will potentially get you more problems than it solves.
There are at least two good options for you before trying this one:
1) wait that someone skilled enough packages sesame2 for Debian
2) wait that redland is improved. From the comments I've read so far redland should be better than sesame because it's written in C++ instead of requiring a JVM to run on your system. It has bad algorithms inside at the moment, that's why it is so slow in indexing and have been disabled as default in Debian.

On the long term, redland will be better than sesame2, so if you don't need these features NOW, be patient. Otherwise use a distribution that requires to be compiled and you can manage totally by yourself.

Valerio