Re: Idea for smooth migration to KDE 4

Am Montag 17 November 2008 schrieb Alejandro Exojo:
> El Lunes, 17 de Noviembre de 2008, Martin Steigerwald escribió:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Today I had an idea for smoothly migrating to KDE 4:
> >
> > I backup my ~/.kde and just use my KDE 4 Debian Sid/Experimental
> > virtualbox and mount my home directory via vboxfs. KDE 4 should use
> > .kde4 in my home directory and then I could migrate the configuration
> > of KDE applications one by one, still having KDE 3 stuff in my
> > physical environment. Once I am satisfied I update the physical box
> > with lenny/sid/experimental to KDE 4.
> >
> > Should work out, shouldn't it?
>
> Should work, but there are other possibilities, like opening a KDE 4
> session in parallel through Xephyr, or in another X server. VirtualBox
> it's a solution a bit more "bloated", but it's probably easier to do
> because it's interface.

But then I would to have to compile one KDE myself? With VirtualBox I
could use Debian packages for KDE 3 and KDE 4 on the same machine without
interfering with one another.

Well maybe I will just switch to KDE 4 over Christmas and hope the best
that I have everything in place for productive work till the next year
begins. ;)