Re: Idea for smooth migration to KDE 4

Well thanks for all the answers. Sorry for not replying earlier.

Am Dienstag 18 November 2008 schrieb David Baron:
> On Monday 17 November 2008 20:26:47 Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
wrote:
> > On Monday 17 November 2008 16:16:09 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > > Hi!

[...]

> > Well, that's smooth... perhaps too much. I just backed up .kde (just
> > in case something goes wrong), and installed kde4. Copied the
> > important stuff of .kde in .kde4. Done.
> >
> > I'm not comming back :-)
>
> Way too smooth. I did that the first time. KDE4 (OK, a very early
> version) crashed every single time. I had no clue. Until my daughter
> started it up clean by accident and lo and behold, it worked just fine.
>
> So either start fresh and copy .kde/share/config stuff piecemeal as
> needed or use a script posted on kde-apps.org which copies stuff
> automatically.

Hmmm, how is that script called?

Thats what I wonder about. I have *lots* of data in ~/.kde.

martin@shambhala:~> LANG=C du -sh .kde
367M    .kde

Thats:

- IMAP folder indexes for KMail

- extremely complex KMail configuration with tons of filters

- Calender, journal, todos, address book, almost everything thats provided
under the hood of Kontact

- Baskets (http://basket.kde.org)

It is vital to be able to migrate all that safely.

I do not intent to copy over ~/.kde verbatim. Just necessary bits an
pieces.

But I wonder how good migration of that data works out. Does it work out
of the box?

Thats why I thought about the smooth migration.

Well maybe its to much hassle and I just spring into the water and see how
it goes. KDE 4.1.3 looks nice in VirtualBox and KDE 4.2 is coming...

Ciao,