Experiences with KDE4 on Sid

I did get everything installed. Some are  on experimental, some off   Sid. I
finally installed udev for the hal stuff needed by the kde4. All fine.

>From kdm, I cannot get a kde4 session running. Crash after crash. Depending
upon the profile paths, the kde3 desktop may come up. Knotify4 will crash
repeatedly (but I can move that out of the way if I so choose).

I CAN get kde4 running from a "failsafe" session by "sudo startkde" in the
xterm window. Without the root privileges, same crashes as from kdm. (The
root runs are problematic because of setting root ownership of .kde4 stuff,
and this is simply dangerous and not desirable.)

Clued from some kubuntu complaints: Is dbus (used instead of dcop) OK? It IS
running. However, I have dbus-launcher instances stuck in memory, one for the
user and one for root. These should have gone away immediately since dbus was
started on bootup.

HAL: Its udev rule cites a socket file. There is no such file. The URI is not
to any /dev entry.

I have filed the bugs but KDE-for-Debian is not really addressing these as of
yet. Some folks have apparently succeeded in running it (and I do not mean
live  CDs or virtual machines). Any ideas?