Re: Questions about KDE4

Am Dienstag 15 Januar 2008 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> Am Dienstag 15 Januar 2008 schrieb Hendrik Sattler:
> > Hi,
>
> Hi Hendrik,
>
> > some people here obviously already tried it. I cannot (only one
> > system without a CD writer) and have some questions:
> >
> > First: is it possible to try it in something like VirtualBox?
>
> I have it in virtualbox. Works pretty nice. You can't fully test
> compositing easily at least with OpenGL tough, it won't obviously not
> hardware accelerated.
>
> One issue I have it that antialiasing does not appear to work in KDE 4,
> no matter what I set in System Settings/Appearance. It works in a XFCE
> environment that I installed as recovery GUI in case I break KDE 4 at
> some time.

This has been mentioned by Michael Biebl before and more detailed in
debian-user-german

Its a but in fontconfig 2.5 [1].
As workaround downgrade to fontconfig 2.4 [2]. Remember to also downgrade
libfontconfig1

Now my KDE 4 is nice and shiny. XRender compositing works quite nicely.
OpenGL does not work. I tried it, was to slow to be usable with software
rendering and it seems the kwin actually disabled it automatically again,
cause I couldn't click "Yes I want that" within 10 seconds ;-)

[2] deb http://snapshot.debian.net/archive pool fontconfig