Re: Kmail will not Send Mail - Debian Etch Stable - KDE 3.5.7

On Saturday 08 December 2007 12:28:13 Richard Ibbotson wrote:

> I'm not sure whether I should send this to the AMD 64 list or the KDE list.
> Hopefully this is the right place.  I've installed Debian Etch into my
> AMD64 workstation with a Gigabyte motherboard.  KDE 3.5.5.  It's very nice.
> Bit like using an old Solaris machine.  Everything was fine until I ran the
> upgrade "apt-get upgrade".   KDE 3.5.7 was installed.  I now find that
> Kmail refuses to send any mail out even though it downloads mail without
> any problems.

KDE 3.5.7 is Testing. Did you perform an upgrade from stable to testing?

> I normally send mail with Postfix.  Postfix is working fine.  I can use
> Pine or Alpine or Mutt to send mail.  After the bug arrived I've
> re-configured Kmail to send mail with SMTP <smtp.ukfsn.org>.  Kmail still
> refuses to send mail.
>
> Does anyone know how to sort this out so that Kmail will send mail once
> again ?  Can't find any logs that I can send in here.  I could downgrade to
> KDE 3.5.5 to see whether that cures the bug but APT howto isn't completely
> helpful when I read it.

I had a mix system -stable and testing. I run KDE 3.5.7. You can configure
Kmail. Just get to the Kmail settings dialogbox and select accounts. Click on
send tab. Select you mail account. The bottons on the right hand side will be
active. Click configure button and a new dialog box will appear. Click on the
security tab. You will see a button on the bottom of the dialog box. This one
is used for autoconfigure settings. Click it and wait for Kmail to detect the
settings. Then try sending again.

My explanations may seem unclear due I do run Turkish localized version of
KDE.

Goksin Akdeniz