Can't boot to kde

I inadvertently cut the power to the room where my PC was running Debian 4.0.  Now when I boot I get as far as the usual  screen with: the debian logo and the date & time in the bottom right corner; the "Session Type" and "Menu" tabs at the bottom left corner and the "Welcome to redcube"  window in the middle with space for my user name ("robin") and password.  Now, however, when I press enter after choosing a desktop (kde or gnome) from the "Session Type" tab the screen goes black for a few seconds and then returns to its previous state: i.e. kde (or gnome) won't start.

However, if I choose "Console Login'" from the Menu tab login, as euther root or robin, succeeds.  Use of ls -a suggests that my HD is ok.  Under either robin or root, if I don't enter any thing for several minutes line after line of the form "DROPPED IN=eth0 OUT=MAC=ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff: (A lot more stuff follows which I haven't included)" appear.

If I log in as root and run startx the gnome desktop opens.  But if I log in as robin and run startx neither kde nor gnome opens but I get a message which looks like it might be part of /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

Here are some things I have tried that didn't help:
  logging with TWN, Twn or Failsafe
  aptitude reinstall kdm
  dpkg -reconfigure kdm
  aptitude reinstall kdebase
  aptitude remove kdebase, then aptitude install kdebase
  creating a new user and attempting to start kde

I have checked /var/log/Xorg.0.log and xsession-errors but couldn't find anything that looked important.

Many kind people from the Calgary Linux Users Group have given me suggestions but so far the problem persists.  I would appreciate any help you could give me.

Robin Carter