Re: Dynamic Networking

Dave Page wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I've recently reinstalled my laptop with Etch. Back when it was running
> Sarge, I used the packge "laptop-net" to handle switching network
> connections, plugging in the wireless card etc. while the system was
> active.
>
> I assumed that in Etch, udev and friends would take care of this for me,
> but this seems not to be the case. At the basic level, I'd like my
> laptop to try to obtain a DHCP lease when the wired network is
> connected, and to scan for known wireless networks when the PCMCIA wifi
> card is inserted (and to try to connect to recognised wifi networks).
> What's the "right" way to do this in Etch? Ideally I'd like a nice
> Debian-compatiable KDE interface for this.

I don't think there's an answer which can suffice all the requirements.

For example, Network Manager (Or call it K Network Manager) does take care of
most of the stuff you're talking about. But it still is useless (IMO), given
that:
1) you can't use static ip addresses
2) you can't make any additions to the configurations in
the /etc/network/interfaces file. (Something like using pre-up/post-up)
3) anything which isn't auto isn't considered.
4) many more which I might not be aware of.....

But still I'd recommend you to give it a try because it might suffice your
requirements.

OTOH, there are console applications like guessnet, whereami et cetera which can
be of help.

I thought of starting up something for this issue (http://whereami.sf.net) but
still haven't got anything concrete.

Ritesh