Re: nVidia mismatch

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 16:14:30 +0100, frapietra@alice.it wrote:

> You (Francesco) should not have to reinstall just because you broke your
> X, though.  We can have a look at the problem if you post the output of
> the following three commands:
>
> lspci | egrep -i '(video|vga|display)'
> 01:00:0 VGA nVidia NV11DDR GeForce2 MX 100 DDR/200 DDR rev b2
>
> awk '/Section "(Module|Device|ServerFlags|Extensions)"/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> "Module" load bitmap ddc dri extmod freetype glx int10 vbe
> "Device" Identifier (see above); Driver nv; Bus PCI:1:0:0; Option: UseFBDev true
>
> egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> (The last one should be run right after you try "startx".)
> oper /dev/fb6 (or fb7) no such file or dir
> EE Unable to find valid framebuffer device
> EE NV(0) Failed to open framebuffer device
> EE Screen found but none has usable config
> Directory /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic does not exist
> 'fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/" or 75dpi/" or 100dpi" or 75dpi"
> open /dev/fbo (or 1 to 7): no such file or dir

That means the framebuffer device for nvidia has not been created. Try
to do "modprobe nvidiafb" (as root) and see if that leads to the
creation of /dev/fb0. If that module cannot be loaded then you can try
to set

Option "UseFBDev" "false"

in your xorg.conf. I think the "nv" driver should work without the nvidiafb
module.

NB: You second mail is about the non-free nvidia driver. This driver has
nothing to do with the "nvidiafb" module which is part of the normal
linux kernel. I propose to first get X running again with the "nv"
driver which is independent of the nvidia module you are trying to build
with module-assistant. We can worry about 3D acceleration later.

If all else fails you can try the "vesa" driver in xorg.conf (instead of
"nv"); that one should always work.

--
Regards,
          Florian