Re: kde backup

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 08:33:28 +0100, Luca Bedogni wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 November 2006 08:19, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> > Faced with difficulties in reestabling the X system, is it enough to save
> > the hidden file ".kde" present in my home (debian etch) to reintroduce for
> > all kde data in a new installation of the system?
>
> Yes, kde applications save there the configuration files.
> But if you want to save other non-kde applications, you have to save
> other .app directory.

Another important hidden directory for KDE is .config which holds your
menu customizations.

I would simply install the new system and then copy over my entire home
directory with all hidden files and directories. Only then would I log on to
KDE (X) for the first time on the new system so that all old configurations are
taken over.

You (Francesco) should not have to reinstall just because you broke your
X, though.  We can have a look at the problem if you post the output of
the following three commands:

lspci | egrep -i '(video|vga|display)'

awk '/Section "(Module|Device|ServerFlags|Extensions)"/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf

egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

(The last one should be run right after you try "startx".)

--
Regards,
          Florian