Re: xorg not installing

On Wednesday 01 November 2006 12:12, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 23:48:13 -0500, Larry Garfield wrote:
> > Hi folks.  For the past week or so, every time I try to aptitude
> > update/upgrade my Sid box, the upgrade process hangs when processing
> > xserver-xorg.  It simply freezes when processing that package until I
> > Ctrl+C it.  I know Sid breaks periodically, but it's been over a week on
> > two different repositories.
>
> In what stage does it freeze? (unpacking, setting up, ...) Please post
> the full output and error messages, including the command that you use
> to upgrade.
>
> What is the result of "apt-cache policy xserver-xorg"?

lgarfiel@rigel:~/public_html/eclipse/stflib$ apt-cache policy xserver-xorg
xserver-xorg:
  Installed: 1:7.1.0-5
  Candidate: 1:7.1.0-5
  Version table:
 *** 1:7.1.0-5 0
        500 ftp://debian.uchicago.edu sid/main Packages
        500 ftp://debian.mirrors.pair.com sid/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

I'm using "aptitude upgrade", but "aptitude install xserver-xorg" gives the
same result.  It downloads fine, but then goes to:

Setting up xserver-xorg (7.1.0-5)

And just sits there for literally hours (Athlon 2100+, I've left it over night
and it still never finishes).  If I Ctrl+C, I get:

dpkg: error processing xserver-xorg (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script killed by signal (Interrupt)
 xserver-xorg
A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
Setting up xserver-xorg (7.1.0-5) ...

And it seems to try again, and freeze again.  Ctrl+C-ing again gives:

dpkg: error processing xserver-xorg (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script killed by signal (Interrupt)
 xserver-xorg

And then it terminates.  aptitude is never even in the top ten processes
according to top.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry@garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012