keyboard switcher says "err"

The keyboard switcher flummy is broken on one of my boxes.  Configure it for
the layouts I want, check the various options to get the icon into the system
tray and keep it there regardless of the layout used, and instead of the
respective little flags, it just says "err"

I'm not sure what's broken or missing here.  Where do I start?

I would start by running whatever this is from the command line, to see if it
gives more verbose error messages than "err" but I don't see any way to do
that.

I've seen this before with certain layouts under certain conditions of being
between upgrades, but have never seen the little switcher outright refuse to
do anything.

--
D. Michael McIntyre

Author of Rosegarden Companion http://rosegarden.sourceforge.net/tutorial/