root password in dialogs

Hello,

I've ran into a serious problem with kde (Debian unstable packages)
whereby my root password is rejected in all kde dialog boxes where I'm
asked for it.  For example, in control panel in the administration section
if I click on "administrator mode", I'm told I've supplied the wrong
password.  I've checked the obvious things like caps lock and language, so
no problems there.  I can change to super user while in a console, so
obviously my password is still working, it just doesn't work in kde.

The only thing I can think of that might have caused this is I've updated
the libcvsservice0 package today, which also installed kdelibs4c2a and
kdelibs-data.  Any ideas for a fix welcome.

Thanks,

--
Seb