problems starting kde

Hello
I am following the instructions from a paper to install and start KDE. I managed to install it and now I am trying to make it work...When I type startkde I get the following message
:~# startkde
xsetroot:  unable to open display ''
xset:  unable to open display ""
xsetroot:  unable to open display ''
DCOPServer : slotShutdown() -> waiting for clients to disconnect.
DCOPServer : slotExit() -> exit.
startkde: Starting up...
startkde: Running kpersonalizer...
DCOP: register 'anonymous-19155' -> number of clients is now 1
DCOP: unregister 'anonymous-19155'
kwin: cannot connect to X server
kpersonalizer: cannot connect to X server
kpersonalizer: cannot connect to X server

So then it says somewhere that if I get the above message I should type startx and run startkde from .xinitrc, .xsession or .Xclients. First of all I cannot find any of those files. Why is that? And whats more when I run startx I get the following:
:~# startx
Using authority file /root/.Xauthority
Writing authority file /root/.Xauthority
Using authority file /root/.Xauthority
Writing authority file /root/.Xauthority
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc: line 2: /usr/bin/X11/X: No such file or directory
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc: line 2: exec: /usr/bin/X11/X: cannot execute: No such file or directory
giving up.
xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

Can someone please explain to me what am I doing wrong and how to fix this problem?

Thank you all.