Re: RANT about fonts with KDE Updates

On Saturday 2006 September 09 20:02, Alejandro Exojo wrote:

> Well, it seems that this will be selectable soon:
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=115651723700985&w=2

Which said:

"Since X by default computes real DPI and we just use it, while GNOME
forces it to 96DPI, we get a lot of "KDE has ugly fonts", despite us doing
things "properly". Go figure."

I have to say, I've been a correct-DPI stickler since I began using X and have
never had ugly fonts for which my DPI setting was the problem.  I wonder if
the "ugly fonts" are not due to some other mis-configuration like
anti-aliasing not working rather than DPI.

It's such a shame that KDE isn't being lauded for being sensible and GNOME/MS
ridiculed.  In particular on Windows; most people with fancy, high resolution
displays can't read the text on them because they can't change DPI without
rendering every dialog box useless.

What on earth is the meaning of the term dots per inch when it is fixed at 96?
I suggest renaming it to RDR (Random Dot Ratio).

Andy

--
Dr Andy Parkins, M Eng (hons), MIEE
andyparkins@gmail.com