USB cdrom does not appear on desktop

Hi!

I have an internal cdrom and an external USB-DVD-burner. Each time I insert a
cdrom into the internal drive KDE displays an icon on the desktop and I can
mount the cd by clicking on the icon. Unfortunately, this does not work with
my external burner. No icon appears and therefore, I'm unable to mount an
inserted cd. Other USB devices like USB-disks are working fine, the icon
appears and I'm able to mount them. What may prevent KDE from showing an icon
for the external drive? Is this a USB-related problem? My hal/dbus
configuration seems to be OK, since all other media related functions are
working.

regards,
Jörg