Re: How to remove subcomponents of KDE?

On Saturday 02 September 2006 17:31, Ryo Furue wrote:
> Thank you all who responded!
>
> | 1. Start aptitude.
> | 2. Select the package "kde".
> | 3. Navigate through it (press enter), and mark as _manually_
> | installed (press lowercase "m"), all the packages you really
> | want. That could be all the packages, except kde-amusements.
>
> Thanks.  I understand that this is the "proper" way to achive
> my goal.  However, the problem is that I don't know which KDE
> packages I want.  All I know is that I do NOT want kde-amusements.

So you actually do know which packages you want:  All of them that KDE
installed for you except kde-amusements.

> Anyway, does this mean that there's no easy way to remove
> only the "amusements" part of KDE?

There is, see above.

> Basically, what I need
> is to tell aptitude that "I know `kde' depends on `kde-amusements',
> but please remove it and its dependencies and please ignore
> the unmet dependency in `kde'". . .

Not possible.  It's all or nothing with virtual packages.  Use the "kde"
package as a reference to keep the packages "kde" depends on, except
kde-amusements.  If you use aptitude, this is a snap.

--
Paul Johnson