Re: Files and directories to preserve across upgrade

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 02:14:04PM -0600, John Schmidt wrote:
> On Monday 21 August 2006 13:03, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > I upgraded one machine from KDE 3.5.3 to 3.5.4 and discovered that some
> > of my defaults got lost.  In particular, my fonts both in and outside of
> > KDE became terrible (that is, non KDE apps running under KDE, such as
> > firefox). The list archives suggested setting use anti-aliasing to true
> > (which it already was) and set hinting style to full (it was medium).
> > Setting hinting to full seemed to help a lot.
>
> Try this:
>
> Turn off and on anti-aliasing -- log out/log in and see if that doesn't clear
> up the font issue.  Doing this was all that required after upgrading to
> 3.5.4.

Should that also restore the previous font families I had selected?
For example, I had Verdana as my font for a bunch of things, and that
disappeared in the upgrade.

I just did the anti-alias off/on and logout/in, but I'm not sure it
made any changes beyond what I already had from setting hinting to
full.*  I had already manually reset some fonts, so I couldn't do much
of a test there.

Ross

* Some of the fonts, e.g., on the tabs in Konsole, looked better after
the logout, but that may simply be because they needed to be restarted
to get the benefit of the full hinting.