Re: moving konqueror's bookmarks.xml to a new system
On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 15:34:51 -0400,
"D. Michael McIntyre" <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> On Monday 07 August 2006 12:35 am, Seb wrote:
>> problem remains though as to how to get my previous bookmarks back.
> Well, that one's easy enough to deal with. With whatever other problem
> you had magically fixed by the sledge hammer method, I'd edit the new
> bookmarks.xml and import the contents of the old one into the new one.
Yep, that's exactly what I did. I'm not sure what really solved the issue
with permissions (or whatever it was). Unbelievably, after removing the
entire ~/.kde directory and restarting, it was possible to add/remove/edit
bookmarks from the menu, but the error kept coming up whenever these
operations were done using the bookmark toolbar! I ended up doing this
(after removal of ~/.kde and restart):
1. Remove all bookmarks* files (there are 3 of them in
~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror) and restart konqueror.
2. Added a couple of bookmarks and quit konqueror.
3. Open the newly created ~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/bookmars.xml and my
back-up version of that file.
4. Copy the contents of the back-up copy and paste into the new file.
5. Restart konqueror and magically all my bookmarks were back with full
Although it's frustrating not to understand what was wrong (to avoid going
through this mess again), the system is functional again.